Register Today for the Sixth District Fall Leadership Training!
When: 8am - 12:30pm, Saturday, August 17, 2019
Where: Peterson Middle School,
1380 Rosalia Dr, Sunnyvale, CA 94087
What: Sixth District Training is a way for your
incoming board to learn the PTA Basics and
share Best Practices!
Agenda for the Day:
Registration 8 - 8:30 AM
General Meeting 8:30 – 9:10 AM
Session 1 9:15 - 10:45 AM
Break 10:45 - 11:00 AM
Session 2 11:00 - 12:30 PM
The workshops that will be offered are below:
- Are you curious about how best to communicate with your child's teacher & Principal? Is there a system for addressing your concerns? What is the role of the School District & School Board members and why does it matter? This workshop is an introduction to advocacy at the unit level. Please join us to learn more about how best to advocate for your child at your school!
Communicating in Today’s PTA/PTSA
- Learn how to effectively utilize social media and websites to communicate in today’s PTA/PTSA. Explore multiple forms of social media, learn about best practices for social media policy and gain traffic for your PTA/PTSA. This workshop will give insight to the virtual world of marketing and communications that is proving to be more effective and reachable for members across the state!
Está en la Mesa Directiva - ¿Y Ahora Qué? (You’re on the Board in Spanish)
- Partes 1 y 2 - Los miembros de la mesa directiva nunca están solos. Aprenda los conceptos básicos de todos los puestos de la mesa directiva, cómo trabajar con los miembros de la mesa de manera eficiente y eficaz y qué recursos hay disponibles para realizar el trabajo.
- Parts 1 and 2 -Y his workshop will be taught in Spanish and the handouts are in Spanish; Members of the board text are never alone. Learn the basics of all positions of the board, how to work with board members efficiently and effectively and what resources are available to do the job.
e-Membership: Marketing your PTA
- Learn more about Totem the California State PTA online membership platform that your PTA/PTSA can utilize to get your membership up and distribute e-membership cards!
Finding & Motivating Volunteers
- Understanding volunteers: what is different today? How do you recruit them? What do they want and need? How best to appreciate them. Let’s share strategies.
FIve Minute Audit-Required for Insurance Coverage
- The new insurance requires audits and monthly review of the bank statement and reconciliation by a non-check signer. This hands on workshop will get you started toward completing your audit. If your PTA has not done an audit bring the copies of reconciled bank statements and treasurers reports for the first six months. We will discuss how this meets the new insurance requirements. We will also show you how this can cut the semi-annual audit time in more than half. If your school has not done and audit this year bring your bank statements and treasurer report for the first six months.
- Join us as we go over the do's and don'ts of fundraising. We will give you the guidelines for raffles, alcohol permits and the 3-to-1 rule.
How to Audit PTA Books –Required by PTA Insurance
- CSPTA Insurance requires that there be audits. If loss occurs and there has been no audit, there is no coverage. Don’t wait until the end of the year to prepare for the audit. Get simple strategies and tips for making audits a piece of cake! Learn how to plan, conduct and report the outcome of your PTA audit. Reassure your members their resources are being managed in a businesslike manner which complies with all regulations. This workshop is not just for auditors; any officer, especially the president, treasurer and secretary, would benefit from understanding what is required to pass a PTA audit.
"Look Within" Reflections & Positive PTA Programs
- This workshop will cover both National PTA Reflections Program, the 2019-2020 theme is "Look Within" & event planning to get your PTA ready and excited for the year. Programs are the heart of PTA that build our communities and empower our students to succeed. Learn how to develop your own effective, engaging PTA programs!
Membership Basics and More
- Get inspired to Make Your Members Matter! Membership is essential! Learn about making year-round campaigns and developing the right channels to communicate by building strong and unified PTAs to advocate and volunteer for all children.
Money Matter$: Treasurer Basics
- Parts 1 & 2 - This workshop provides an in-depth discussion of financial procedures. Attendees will be guided step- by-step through an entire financial year. Topics include banking, budgets, money handling and financial reports. We will explore in detail fundraising, workers’ compensation and more.
- We will discuss the role and duties of the parliamentarian. We will also review unit bylaws. Learn what is in your bylaws and why. Knowing what's in your bylaws can make you a better officer and PTA member. Make your PTA life easier — Get the most out of your bylaws! Brief introduction to e-bylaws.
- Parts 1 & 2 - Excited about your election to the presidency? But a bit nervous also? This workshop will provide the basics of PTA policies, structure and support that are available to help you in your new role. We will help you learn how to successfully lead your PTA with confidence..
- Whether you use a pen and paper, electronic tablet, laptop, cell phone or quill, bring it to this workshop and learn how to be the best secretary ever! Get a better picture of what you are required to record during meetings. Learn about the roles and responsibilities of being a secretary.
Website Deep Dive
- Does your PTA need a new website? Or perhaps your website just needs a new look? Or maybe you just have a website issue that you have been unable to solve? Then this is the session for you! Bill Cortright (Sixth District Communications Committee & Chief Technologist, Palo Alto Council) will give a brief introduction about how to build and maintain a website using some of the most popular website platforms and provide an overview of his success in putting all 18 PTA websites in Palo Alto on common platform that is easy use and maintain. Then he will address any specific questions that you may have regarding your PTA websites.