The National PTA and California State PTA consider health education to be of major importance. Local units should promote health education.
Some ways to promote Physical, Mental and Emotional Health Education are to:
- Help parents recognize and respond to the health and nutrition needs of their children and families.
- Encourage compliance with mandated health education curriculum.
- Work to improve health care services, in particular the credentialed school nurse-to-student ratio, in school and community.
- Stress the concepts of wellness and prevention.
- Update and implement school wellness policies.
- Emphasize the importance of healthy lifestyles and modeling these lifestyles for children.
- Support and promote a healthy school environment.
- Make parents cognizant of and responsive to environmental issues and hazards that may jeopardize the health of children and families.
- Ensure a comprehensive school health program that integrates activities and services designed to promote the optimal physical, emotional, social and educational development of children and youth.