Your day includes continental breakfast, 3 workshops, class materials & lunch. Register online until 8/31 for $15; after 8/31 register at the door for $20. See you 9/8! Attend workshops put on by Sixth District Leadership. Check out our Day-At-A-Glance or look at the agenda and workshops below.
8:00am – 8:30am – Check In & Registration, Continental Breakfast
8:30am – 9:15am – Welcome & Association Meeting
9:15am – 9:30am – Break
9:30am – 11:00am - Workshop #1
11:00am – 11:15am – Break
11:15am – 12:45pm - Workshop #2
12:45pm – 2:00pm – Lunch, Resource & Vendor Fair
2:00pm – 3:30pm - Workshop #3
PTA Mini-Store will be open during lunch
Fall 2018 Workshops - Check out our Day-At-A-Glance for Workshop Times!
- Are you curious about how best to communicate with your child's teacher & Principal? Is there a system for addressing your concerns? What is the role of the School District & School Board members and why does it matter? This workshop is an introduction to advocacy at the unit level. Please join us to learn more about how best to advocate for your child at your school!
Communicating in Today’s PTA/PTSA
- Learn how to effectively utilize social media and websites to communicate in today’s PTA/PTSA. Explore multiple forms of social media, learn about best practices for social media policy and gain traffic for your PTA/PTSA. This workshop will give insight to the virtual world of marketing and communications that is proving to be more effective and reachable for members across the state!
- In this workshop we will briefly review the content of bylaws and standing rules and then we’ll cover the use of the e-Bylaws program and helpful worksheets.
- Learn about California State PTA’s new electronic membership system. We’ll show you how the system makes joining PTA easy and convenient for members and PTA leaders. We’ll go over the membership reports that PTA leaders will be able to generate and show you the ins and outs of the TOTEM system, including social sharing and the new electronic membership card. We’ll have live demonstrations and we can help you get your PTA online right away.
Finance for All Officers
- Managing the PTA’s finances is not just the treasurer’s job. Discover how all board members fit into the finance picture. Attendees will understand the importance of complying with federal government standards needed to protect the assets of the PTA.
Finding & Motivating Volunteers
- Understanding volunteers: what is different today? How do you recruit them? What do they want and need? How best to appreciate them. Let’s share strategies that have worked at your PTA.
How To Audit PTA Books
- Don’t wait until the end of the year to prepare for the audit. Get simple strategies and tips for making audits a piece of cake! Learn how to plan, conduct and report the outcome of your PTA audit. Reassure your members their resources are being managed in a businesslike manner which complies with all regulations. This workshop is not just for auditors; any officer, especially the president, treasurer and secretary, would benefit from understanding what is required to pass a PTA audit.
Make Your Members Matter! Every Member Counts!
- Get inspired to Make Your Members Matter! Come learn more about the Sixth District Incentives for the 2018-2019 school year. Membership is essential! Learn about making year round campaigns and developing the right channels to communicate by building strong and unified PTAs to advocate and volunteer for all children.
Money Matter$: Treasurer Basics
- Parts 1 & 2 - This workshop provides an in-depth discussion of financial procedures. Attendees will be guided step-by-step through an entire financial year. Topics include banking, budgets, money handling and financial reports. We will explore in detail fundraising, workers’ compensation and more.
- We will discuss the role and duties of the parliamentarian. We will also review unit bylaws. Learn what is in your bylaws and why. Knowing what's in your bylaws can make you a better officer and PTA member. Make your PTA life easier — Get the most out of your bylaws!
Positive PTA Programs
- Programs are at the heart of PTA. Learn how to develop your own effective, engaging PTA programs. We'll tackle the Nuts and Bolts of PTA programs and we'll share best practices and practical tips. We'll also find out about the great programs offered by California State PTA and National PTA. We'll share free resources, and program ideas that won't cost you a cent.
- Parts 1 & 2 - Excited about your election to the presidency? But a bit nervous also? This workshop will provide the basics of PTA policies, structure and support that are available to help you in your new role. We will help you learn how to successfully lead your PTA with confidence.
- You’ve taken the classes, but still have some questions. Bring them to this session of nothing but questions and answers. Inquiring minds need to know and Sixth District PTA officers will be on hand to help you with answers.
PTA Budget and Tax Tips
- PTA Budgets can be confusing. We will coach you on how to set up your PTA budget to keep everything in proper categories. Make sure to bring a copy of your current budget and your questions.
- If your unit made less than $50,000 in income last year, we can also guide you on filing your taxes. Bring your 2017-2018 AFR (Annual Financial Report) and Year End Audit (1-1-18 to 6-30-18) if you have them.
- Whether you use a pen and paper, electronic tablet, laptop, cell phone or quill, bring it to this workshop and learn how to be the best secretary ever! Get a better picture of what you are required to record during meetings. Learn about the roles and responsibilities of being a secretary.
- How does the diversity of cultures impact your PTA? Join the discussion as we define culture as it relates to PTA and identify how culture plays a role in your PTA, while you build understanding of cultural diversity to recruit and retain a diverse board.